Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed looked like one of those “out there” novelties that won’t amount to anything; meanwhile, it took the 3rd spot in our “Best Coleman” guide and ranked up some pretty impressive sale numbers. We did our first review of this model more than year-and-a-half ago, when it first fell under our radar by beating the SupportRest with pillowtop. The Coleman 4 in 1 air mattress made it to our guide’s high-ranking order, and it’s still going strong after about 10 updates to the original review we did back then.
For those new readers out there, we update our ultimate guides and reviews every two months to better mirror the current state of the market at any given time.
Table of contents
- 1 Overall rating for Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed air mattress
- 2 Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Product specification for this Coleman air mattress
- 6 Positive user reviews of Coleman 4-in-1 air mattress
- 7 Reported shortcomings of the model
- 8 Our impressions with this Coleman Quickbed 4-in-1
Overall rating for Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed air mattress
Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed
- Durable, heavy-duty material
- High versatility and capacity
- High-quality coupling mechanism
- Good for back pain
- Coleman Airtight System doesn’t leak air
- Needs an external pump
- Couple of inches shy of real Twin-Size
These are the result of our work in the past two months.
Fresh grades in each of our performance categories, built by a joined effort of our testers and recent customers who were amazing enough to share their positive and negative experiences with us.
With that said, we still have one final challenge for this bed. We’ll compare it to none other than the currently top rated product overall.
|Comfort||84 / 100||95 / 100|
|Durability||81 / 100||94 / 100|
|Air retention||85 / 100||94 / 100|
|Pump||82 / 100||94 / 100|
|Value for money||83 / 100||95 / 100|
|OVERALL RATING||83 / 100||94 / 100|
|Color||brown / tan||blue / beige|
|Sizes||can be used as twin, twin double high or king||twin and queen|
|Height||each twin is 5 inches high||19 inches|
With that out of the way, we can take a closer look at the official product description followed by some highlights among fresh user reports.
Product specification for this Coleman air mattress
Before anything else, we’ll give the opportunity to the manufacturer to present its product to us and convince us to eventually buy it.
Let’s learn a bit more:
- 3 different combinations: 2 Twin-Size beds, Twin double high air mattress or 1 King-Size
- Sturdy coil construction
- Flocked top
- Airtight System
- Double Lock Valve
Coleman is among those brands known for their short and not-too-informative product specifications. So, we’ll have to do most of the digging ourselves, with the help of our featured testers and users we managed to contact. One of the crucial decision points reported by the people who already own this airbed is now neatly and easily in packs and stores using what Coleman calls “Wrap ‘N” Roll system – which is really just a fancy way of saying you pack it into a roll and store it away. It is still PVC and not the best camping choice, like Coleman Cot with side tables would be, for example.
Positive user reviews of Coleman 4-in-1 air mattress
We’ll start by going over some pleasant experiences recent buyers had to share with our team.
Let’s get right to it:
- We used this bed for two weeks straight during our last camping getaway, and it performed above all expectations. The material itself looks pretty thick, so there was no danger of piercing it, even though we set camps on some pretty ridiculous locations considering we’ve brought an air mattress
- It’s incredibly easy to set up and inflate. The locking valve is a great thing, and I don’t have to keep my other hand at the ready for putting the plug in. I used my vacuum in reverse to inflate it, and it worked perfectly
- I call it my “portable guest room”. It can accommodate up to 4 people at any given time without any problems, so I think I’ve got my previous guest accommodation problem completely in check now
- I thought that the coupling mechanism would prove to be too flimsy and gimmicky, but it actually does the job pretty well. It feels pretty solid when I’m in Twin double-high mode, and it doesn’t look like the straps are going anywhere anytime soon either
- We bough two of them, so now we have a King-Size double-high guest bed, which comes in extra handy when our kids bring half their class for a sleepover. The kids can all fit, and they simply love it. Most of them have probably never seen anything like it before, so the mattress is constantly the main star of the show
- We bought it as a temporary solution until our home is being remodeled, and it’s different than any inflatable bed we’ve had before. We’re also avid campers, so we know a thing or two about inflatable furniture. Once the works are done, we’ll keep it as our camping/guest bed for sure. The most painless house makeover ever!
- I’ve slept on this mattress with my boyfriend last weekend while camping, and I didn’t feel him move once! He’s a pretty restless sleeper, and he’s giving me such a headache every night with his constants twirling around. This was such bliss. There were plenty of room for the both of us and it was just as firm when we woke up as when we went to sleep
- I’ve done some pretty crazy acrobatics with my beds in the past due to chronic back pain. I ended up buying this Coleman bed and putting it on top of my regular one. This gave me just the perfect height with all the comfort of a great air mattress. That’s my current setup, and I don’t care it looks cookie, the pain has lessened significantly
- I’ll only say I owned one of these since 2011. It lasted up until a couple of weeks ago when I was careless enough to put it on a pretty sharp patch of rocks. My mistake. Anyway, it went though pretty tough abuse on my part, so I couldn’t be happier it lasted that much. I just bought a second one, and I’m hoping to get even more camping value out of it since I hope I’ve learned not to put blow up mattresses on sharp rocks
- It also has a carry bag conveniently attached to it. So, if you’re constantly losing stuff like I am, having it attached to the mattress is just one less worry for me. It packs pretty small considering the size when fully filled with air, so I don’t need a crazy amount of storage space when I’m not using it
Reported shortcomings of the model
We’ll also deal with some of the most common complaints sent to us via E-mail by customers all around the world.
Here’s what they didn’t like:
- I didn’t read the description properly and ended up thinking this bed came with a built-in electric pump. It doesn’t, however. I thought that the little carry bag attached to the bottom was the storage for the self-inflating mechanism. What was I thinking?! Anyway, I wish it came with its own pump, and that’s basically the only complaint I can share
- We’ve bought two of these, and made them into one elevated King-Size bed. This setup does, however, feel a bit wobbly. Not too much, but definitely not as stable as each of them separately
- It’s a bit shorter than regular Twin-Size, so it’s even more shy of King. It’s just a couple of inches, so it doesn’t make a huge difference to me, but it’s still a valuable piece of info going in
Our impressions with this Coleman Quickbed 4-in-1
We’ll primarily address the lack of a self-inflating mechanism. It doesn’t have its own built-in pump, so it’ll have to be inflated some other way.
This poses ever bigger of a problem for people, but we always say it’s better this way than heading out camping with your night’s sleep depending on electricity. This bed can be inflated using a simple manual pump if your power supply fails, which is definitely an advantage.
If you’re using it indoors, having an integrated electric pump is clearly an advantage and a time-saver.
A little known fact and a very frequently asked question is whether the two sides can be completely separated and used independently. The answer is YES. They can be uncoupled and used as two separate beds.
The second major complaint stems from the fact that they’re a bit shorter than regular Twin-Size. This is a frequent occurrence with air mattresses, however, especially if you like them softer and don’t inflate to full capacity.
Anyway, it IS a slip-up of sorts and we definitely shouldn’t overlook that.
That’s pretty much it when it comes to reported shortcoming and things buyers complained about during our conversations.
On the other hand, we have a sheer abundance of positive things to say about it.
User reports covered most of those however, so we’ll stick to talking about its versatility. Having a bed that can comfortably sleep up to 4 (as per some of the users we contacted) people is not something you see every day.
This model has pretty much all of the potential scenarios covered. Crafty and convenient design is the top selling point thusfore. If you decide you need a bed like this, you won’t mind dishing out a couple extra bucks for an electric pump. If you’re buying an air mattress, however, chances are you already have one handy anyway.
Since it can used as twin double high air mattress, we also considered it for the top 3 in the category of the best twin airbeds, but it never made the top 5, mainly because the competition is so fierce in the category.
Bottom line, this is one clever product that’ll have your back whether you’re using it as a guest bed, camping mattress or even permanent sleeping solution. This crazy amount of pure versatility is what will have you getting it out of storage much more often than you might initially think.
It’s a very nifty inflatable bed, and it has an official 3Beds seal of approval. It had it for quite some time now.