This Coleman SupportRest Queen/Twin air mattress caught our attention after recently securing 2nd place in our guide on best Coleman air mattresses. That was about 6 months ago and that was the moment we decided to invest more resources into testing this Coleman, both with our featured testers and existing owners.
So, 6 months in, we have a pretty good picture of what’s good about it and what are the potential problems.
So let’s “burn some rubber” by getting straight to the updated quality ratings of this Coleman.
Table of contents
- 1 Overall rating of the Coleman SupportRest
- 2 Coleman SupportRest
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Coleman double high air mattress vs the “top dog in the block”
- 6 Coleman SupportRest – Manufacturer’s specification
- 7 Positive user reviews of this Coleman
- 8 Reported shortcomings of the Coleman SupportRest
- 9 Our thoughts on the Coleman SupportRest
Overall rating of the Coleman SupportRest
Coleman double high air mattress vs the “top dog in the block”
Intex vs. Coleman is a long-running feud in our circles, but we still opted for a more serious challenge.
We’ll give it a proper run for its money by having it “lock horns” with none other than SoundAsleep Dream Series, current king of the hill.
Comfort Strong and SupportLock (patented systems)
The two systems used in this Coleman make this inner design one of the best in the market. What does that mean? It means that the ComfortStrong ensures better support and weight distribution and the SupportLock makes the edges of the SupportRest sturdier.
Much less air leaks, no sinking to the middle and a sleeping experience pretty close to that of a regular bed.
Coleman SupportRest – Manufacturer’s specification
As you’ll see in a second, Coleman didn’t exactly give us a lavish set of facts regarding this model.
We’ve always criticized lazy product specifications, but between our in-house and featured testers and a ton of customer contacts, we think we got what it takes to write a review worthy of the name.
Here’s what they had to say about this inflatable bed:
- Plush surface
- Constructed of heavy-duty PVC
- Requires an external pump
- Coleman Airtight System
- Multiple sizes
As we said, not exactly what we like to see, but 3Beds team never runs away from a challenge.
Positive user reviews of this Coleman
We’ll kick-start our info-dig with excerpts from pleasant reports we’ve received from satisfied customers via E-mail.
Let’s see what they liked about the Coleman SupportRest:
- The support is just what my wife and I were looking for! Coleman camping mattress for the win! We’ve carried it with us to three camping adventures so far, and it gave us perfect night’s sleep every single time. Another great thing is the fact that it can comfortably fit through our favorite tent. Far better than the Coleman Quickbed 4-in-1 that we used to carry to the sites.
- Well, this is a first! I’ve inflated this bed a week ago, and it still doesn’t need any extra air. It’s still as firm as the moment I inflated it for our guests. They said it was very comfortable, much more comfortable then our regular guest bed we threw away after buying the inflatable one
- This is my first elevated air mattress, and I can’t believe the difference. I use it mostly for camping, so putting some extra distance between me and the ground is always a good idea for keeping myself as warm as possible overnight
- The price was ridiculously low to begin with, and we even got a great discount. It’s was my first Coleman air bed, so I didn’t know exactly what to expect. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. It doubles as our camping and guest bed, and the quality definitely goes way above the money invested
- There is something about these old-school valves. I can fill the bed with air in no time, and it never leaks during the night. This is my 4th camping mattress, and the first one that didn’t have me waking up in the middle of a flat mess after a tough day of hiking. Great value for the money and a very reliable camping buddy
• I’ve bought this Twin-Size Coleman air mattress, and was pretty pleasantly surprised to see it’s actually a REAL Twin-Size. So, the height and length are more than generous, yet it packs very compactly, so it’s no trouble storing it when I don’t need it
- It arrived at our door, and I had it up and ready for sleeping in just a couple of minutes. It holds my husband and me no problem, so after two weeks of good night’s sleep we finally decided to share some thoughts. Very comfortable and sturdy, sleeps well and all that at a pretty reasonable price
- Floor-rolling days to get out of my bed are officially over! The extra height makes it so I can sit on the edge, just like you could with a regular bed. The sides are firm enough to sit on, so it’s a huge difference between this Coleman double high and my previous low-rise air bed
- I did some volunteering work this summer for the US Forest Service, and this pop-up bed really made it an even more pleasant experience. I slept on it every single night for a month that I was working, and it kept me comfortable, well-rested and, most importantly, didn’t lose air overnight. I had to pump it up a bit every week or so
- Completely as advertised and just as great as people stated in their reviews of this inflatable bed. It’s our designated guest bed, and our guests can barely tell that it isn’t a regular bed with some sheets spread over it
Reported shortcomings of the Coleman SupportRest
In order to get the full picture, we also have to talk about some of the things that rubbed the buyers the wrong way.
Here are some of the most common complaints:
- I would definitely like to see a pump built into this model. This way, I had to make a choice whether I wanted to buy a Coleman pump or order some other model. I don’t know jack about air mattress pumps! I ended up ordering the Coleman one, though. I figures since I’m already ordering their mattress, why not complete the set. The pump works great and inflates/deflates the bed in just a couple of minutes
- The color of this model is just hideous! We bought it as a temporary solution during our move, and it did the job like a pro, but boy does it look well, ordinary. I wish they made it in a couple of different colors, at least
- The flocked top is such a nightmare to clean! It seems like it’s hell-bent on collecting every single speck of dust from the house. Somehow, the dust was pilling up even underneath the sheet. Once you see it there, it takes A LOT off effort to clean it since the dust just “refuses” to leave
Our thoughts on the Coleman SupportRest
Right off the bat, we have to mention the size.
SupportRest comes in Queen and Twin, and it actually represents accurately the length and width dictated for those sizes. We often have size problems with air mattresses when they’re fully inflated in terms of being a couple of inches shorter.
Not with this one.
18 inches of height is more than enough for a good old “regular” bed feeling and proper insulation from the ground.
The edges of the bed are firm enough to sit on, which makes getting in and out of the bed a lot easier. They’re not as sturdy as the center portion, though, which is to be expected with every single air mattress out there. There’s also a version of this Coleman that includes pillow-stops – raised edge beams that stop your pillow from slipping.
It can be set up very easily, and the valve allows for a rapid inflation/deflation.
Once you don’t need it anymore, you can pack it in a quite compact bundle and store it away. It doesn’t have a carry bag but a nylon protector tying around it. It’s sewn to the outer side of the bed, so you don’t have to fear of ever losing it.
The top is flocked, so it’ll feel very soft to the touch and hold your sheets where they’re supposed to be all night long. The PVC is still about 0.4 mm thick and you’d have to be careful if you want to take this Coleman out, an airbed with a frame, like Coleman Queen Cot airbed, that doesn’t touch the ground is a much better option.
On the other hand, it WILL collect plenty of dust, so cleaning it regularly is an imperative. Flocked surfaces are not the easiest to clean, so keep that in mind the next time you feel like skipping the cleaning and letting the dust pile on.
Comfort and durability are definitely on the level, and they shine even more once we realize how budget-friendly this model really is.
Well-designed internal construction promises no sagging over time, and the overall durability comes from good-quality PVC used.
This also makes it an excellent choice for your camping adventures since it can take a pretty good beating without popping a seam or getting pierced. The system developed by Coleman called “Airtight” ensures no air leaks overnight, so you won’t have to bother yourself with refilling your bed with air every couple of minutes.
It features quite a minimalist design, but also all the features you could ever want in a good inflatable bed.
We’ve received numerous complaints from recent buyers regarding the “missing pump”.
People are bothered by the fact that they have to provide the pump some other way. Order it directly from Coleman or somewhere else.
Air mattresses began without built-in pumps in the first place, and that’s exactly what we expected to see in a minimalist product such as this.
Built-in pump would definitely raise the price significantly, and you can buy it online for like 15 dollars anyway. Admittedly, it adds one more step to the process, but that’s just the way it is.
This is one solid product that will satisfy all the criteria expected of a good camping or guest bed. It might not be the best solution as your permanent sleeping solution, but it definitely hold its own in a pinch.
Once again, getting to the 2nd place of any of our guides is hellishly difficult, and this model made it.