We have to start the review of the SimplySleeper SS-58RF with an apology.
We’re almost a month late with the update on this model, and our apologies go to all of you who have been sending us E-mails asking what’s going on. The thing is, we wanted to do a few new tests on it, and we had to wait for a couple of featured testers to send in their reviews and ratings.
It’s no small deal, because this mattress is one of the 4-best rated airbeds Overall.
It’s all up and running now, so we can pick up right where we left off almost three months ago.
Updated ratings of the SimplySleeper SS-58RF
Table of contents
- 1 Updated ratings of the SimplySleeper SS-58RF
- 2 SimplySleeper SS-58RF
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 How it compares to the currently top-rated airbed:
- 6 Spec sheet
- 7 Positive user reviews (excerpts):
- 8 Let’s go over some of the downsides:
- 9 Our final thoughts
The main issue that we are seeing with this air mattress if that it goes out of stock so often, and instead of getting it directly from SimplyGlobo, the potential customer is left with the option of getting it from other sellers that sell it for 2-3 times as much so instead of getting it for the regular price (under 250) people have to pay twice or trice as much.
We contacted SimplyGlobo a few times about this and were assured that they’re working on it. The first time they said was like a year and half ago.
Bottom line – if you do find it available for a regular price (again, under $250) you can consider yourself lucky.
In this update, it ranked higher for both durability and comfort, which allowed it to share the 3rd/4th position in our “Best High-Rise Air Mattress” guide with Insta Dura-Beam.
How it compares to the currently top-rated airbed:
|This product||Currently top-rated Overall|
|Simply Sleeper SS58-RF||S.Asleep|
|Value for money||87||95|
|Sizes available||Full||Twin; Queen|
|Height||18 inches||19 inches|
SimplySleeper models are well-known for their slew of patented technologies. This one is no different, it’s main forte being, the unparalleled durability and reliability, similar to those of it’s younger (and yes, somewhat inferior) “brother” – the SS47T.
Let’s take a quick look at the info sheet:
- Patented Durmothane PVC
- Built-in pump (patented also; not battery operated, electricity only)
- Fully inflated – 74 x 55 x 18 inches
- Folded – 14.5 x 9 x 17
- Oval coils
- Max weight is 600 lbs
- The construction material is 3-layered, air-tight and puncture-resistant
- 3-min inflation
Let’s take this air mattress review a step further and see what the recent users had to say about it.
Positive user reviews (excerpts):
- I bought this air mattress when I went to college. I didn’t want to spend a lot of cash on a good bed for my dorm, so I went with a portable option. It’s the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on. It looks just like a regular bed when I throw some sheets over it
- I got this air mattress as a gift from my mother. I don’t know how she did it, but this is one of the most comfortable surfaces I ever slept on. It even helped me mitigate my chronic back problem
- I used to sleep on a low-rise air mattress before getting this one. It was a pain getting out of it every morning because of my bad back. This one has just the right height, so I can get in and out no problem
- This is my 3rd air mattress and the best one so far. It DOESN’T leak air one bit! I gave it a proper fill about 2 weeks ago, and it’s still very firm and comfortable but still adjusts to my body like a hammock
- It’s very easy and quick to set up. The pump is more than powerful, and it has its way with the mattress in just a couple of minutes
- The price was more than fair! I always have my reservations when I’m ordering stuff online, but I had all the positive reviews online, plus the recommendation of my two colleagues. With this kind of top-quality product, I think I’ll get more than my money’s worth
- I really like that the sides are firm for once. I mean, it’s not all that crucial in the large scale of things, but I still want to be able to sit on my bed before I crash. Good job!
- We have 4 cats in our house, and our girls have been playing with them on this air mattress without any accidents. When there are no cats around/on it, they use it for jumping like in a bouncy castle. All things considered, this is a tank among air mattresses
- The construction appears to be more than solid. Everything stayed in place even after 6 months of constant use. The material feels amazing to the touch, and the connections are still intact
- I like the attention that SimplyGlobo puts into the finish of the Simply Sleeper air mattresses. Everything just looks so precise and, let’s say clean, for the lack of the better word. There’s nothing worse for me than having to look at loose threads sticking out of the seams or some glue hanging all over the place. And I paid money for that?! There are no such things here, and I for one really appreciate what I got for my money
- I even got a pretty good discount on Amazon for this mattress. The first night spent on it had me convinced that I made a good investment
- Best air mattress I ever had! I was burning through inflatable beds like a hot knife through butter. There’s nothing worse than waking up on the floor morning after morning. This little guy holds air like a champ, and I can’t believe I didn’t find about it sooner
Let’s go over some of the downsides:
- I really wished they added just a little more cushioning to this air mattress. It’s a great model other than that, and I solved it with some cheap topper I picked up in Wallmart
- Our place is basically all hardwood floors. The problem we have with this inflatable mattress is that it squeaks when we move. It’s not terribly inconvenient, but we can definitely hear it. We’ll have to get a rug or something
- This mattress is definitely too short for people my size. I’m over 6’, so if you’re as tall as me or taller it’ll be too short for you too
- There’s this lip all over the edge of the mattress. I don’t understand its purpose, but I know I don’t like it there. No other complaints so far. I’ll keep this review updates as my time with this mattress passes
Our final thoughts
This air mattress just keeps on growing in popularity for some reason.
It improved in two of the categories since the last update, which is not a small feat. SoundAsleep Queen Size improved only in one this time around. It all indicates there is a bright future for this model under the hat of 3Beds.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t think it’ll ever have what it takes to surpass SoundAsleep, but it’s definitely welcome to try.
Comfort and durability are the two main points customers focused on. It’s the top choice in both those categories and we don’t see that changing anytime soon.
So, basically we have everything that makes a decent air mattress packed in one convenient package.
These are just the most prominent features; we also have a good-quality pump and air retention ability. It’s the real deal. There are plenty of reasons to buy this air mattress right this instance, but we also have some of the CONs to talk about. Let’s try and explain them one by one.
Some people like more cushioning than others, so there’s no correct recipe there (for now). The main point about this problem is that it’s easily solvable. Just get a thin foam toper and you’re good to go.
It also squeaks on hardwood floors while it’s new. Well, that’s a fact. We’ll just have to weigh some PROs and CONs on that one. Don’t worry; we do that all the time here. It’s a piece of cake. Another thing we can do nothing about is the size of the mattress. It’s too short for extremely tall people, and there’s nothing to be done there.
The lip on the surface is also a point of contention, it would appear. It’s there to give the structural support to the mattress and to prevent the sleeper from falling out. If you don’t like, the cheap foam topper is your problem solver once again.
We hope you found this air mattress review informative and well-worth the wait.