The unwritten RULE with air mattresses is to pick ones that are wider and longer than the space you and your partner take up for a comfortable night’s sleep. As a results, he most popular sizes of inflatable beds are King and Queen. It’s been over a year now wince we first put this guide together, and we haven’t see any significant changes or new arrivals worth mentioning.
The category of top-rated king airbed is dominated by Fox Airbeds. In this update, two out of the three top beds comes from Fox, and in most previous updates the very top has been occupied by Fox Plush. The Plush is a very specific product, made out of PVC that’s 50% thicker than 99% of airbeds out there it also “rules” a couple of other categories like the most durable airbeds and top 3 overall.
Let us get right to it – according to our rating system, these are the 3 best-rated king airbeds on the market today:
The best rated airbeds in King Size (latest update):
Table of contents
- 1 The best rated airbeds in King Size (latest update):
- 2 The best king air mattress compared to the top-rated overall:
- 3 Fox Plush – the best king airbed on the market
- 4 Fox Plush High Rise
- 5 Pros
- 6 Cons
- 7 Aerobed Double High – second top rated inflatable bed in King size
- 8 Aerobed King Size Double High
- 9 Pros
- 10 Cons
- 11 Fox High-Rise with gel memory foam – third best king airbed
- 12 Fox Air Mattress With Topper and Pillows
- 13 Pros
- 14 Cons
- 15 Summing up this update on best King Size air mattresses
|Picture & Rating||Model|
with gel memory foam
Last updated – December 2017
What’s new? What changed since the last update?
We are in the category dominated by Fox inflatable beds, apparently.
It’s a phenomenon that’s very easy to explain actually. Fox is a STELLAR BRAND and the only reason that we’ve never seen a Fox at the very top in the last few years is the fact that the Dream Series by SoundAsleep. But Sound Asleep has two airbeds in the Dream Series Line (twin and queen) so it has no say in this category.
The Aerobed that sneaked in to the Top 3 of this category is a very pleasant surprise and it’s and airbed for those with finer taste. Our Melissa (review editor) loves and says that there’s no airbed on the market with more style and panache.
Anyway, let’s move on and take a look at how the top bed in king size compares to the top overall.
The best king air mattress compared to the top-rated overall:
We’ve gathered a ton of NEW INFO, did some new and exciting TESTS and read a ridiculous amount of air mattress reviews shared by the recent buyers. We’ve adjusted the overall RATINGS accordingly and made two separate articles covering the fresh stuff.
This is the one on scores in different categories spiced up with user reviews.
Dimensions and terminology
We need to clarify these BEFORE taking on digest reviews.
The “regular” King Size is also called EASTERN KING colloquially, and it measures 80 x 76 inches. The length is the same as the Queen Size, but it’s much wider (by some 16 inches).
Let’s not confuse regular King Size with CALIFORNIA KING, ok? It’s a size made for especially tall people, and it measures 84 x 72 inches.
Now that we got the technicalities out of the way, we can talk about best King Size air mattresses currently on the market. It’s just as good as it’s “big brother” – the Fox California King size air mattress.
Fox Plush – the best king airbed on the market
As we’ve already said, Fox Air Beds are DOMINATING the category this time around.
Let’s see the product specification for this model:
- Pillow top
- Air-flow chambers
- Thicker vinyl (43 percent)
- Built-in pump works both ways
- External pumps are also applicable
- Warranty – 90 days
The ratings by quality aspects:
Fox Plush High Rise
- durable & resistant to punctures
- true to size
- comfortable top - extra layer of air flow chambers
- highest - easier to get on and off
- heavier than other airbeds
- bulkier - packs bigger
- reported structural flaws (details in the full review below)
We always state that Fox could put in an extra effort with their product INFO SHEETS, but we’ll get to the bottom of this model regardless.
We’ll start with positive user experiences:
- I’ve been using the twin size air beds for camping my whole life. The size is perfect for my tents of choice, and they accommodate the two of us with such an economy of space. This Fox model is the only one EVER to be exactly 80 inches long!
- This is the best and most powerful pump I’ve seen so far. It works like a charm and inflates the mattress fast!
- It’s incredibly easy to fold it and store away. I’ve never before had a pump that also deflates the air mattress. It’s such a saver of time and energy
- I really like the overall height of this inflatable bed. It’s taller than the regular bed I used to sleep on and definitely much more comfortable
- The top part of this portable bed is very plush and soft to the touch. Not to mention my sheets feel like I glued them to it
- I inflated it, and it stayed inflated for more than two weeks. Needless to say, that was a huge surprise considering my previous air mattress experiences. It needed some topping off at the start, but that was it
- It’s almost as comfortable as my uber fancy overpaid main bed! I use it as a secondary bed for unexpected guests, and they’ve all been overjoyed with how comfortable it was
- The sides are quite firm, and I don’t have to do any acrobatics to get in or out of the bed. I can also sit on the side of it really comfortably
- The center doesn’t lose its firmness after only a couple of nights. It also prevents motion transfer, so I can finally have a good night’s sleep even with a “night blender” that is my husband
- I really like the material they chose for this mattress. It feels much thicker than anything I’ve ever had, so I guess it’s not just false advertising for gullible buyers
- The pump is pretty silent considering I can just feel how powerful it is
- The price is more than budget-friendly for this kind of top-quality air mattress
- It’s the best King Size blow up mattress I’ve ever owned. King Size just makes sense in my book, and I switched to air mattresses because of my bad back. The firmness is super adjustable, and I can feel my spine being held and supported properly
- It’s very well made. Everything is so precise and, well, clean I would say. No glue, no loose threads or unevenly cut pieces of material… I also like the overall design
- I liked how sturdy it feels, unlike any inflatable I slept on. Me and my wife use to roll to the middle since she is significantly lighter. This Fox is big and sturdy enough to keep us on our halves.
Here are some of the kinks:
- The mattress is kinda heavy, so you better inflate it right where you need it to be. Otherwise, you’ll need help moving this beast around
- The carry bag that came with the bed is just a piece of junk! Luckily, the mattress is top-quality, and I’m really satisfied with the purchase. I just use a duffel bag (military grade), so no problems there
- The plastic smell was there alright, but it was gone basically in a day
This King Size Fox air mattress is a BEAST in every sense of the word.
The “weight” part of the story is its main downside according to the customers. So, MOBILITY is definitely not one of its stronger suits. Luckily, it compensates for that “flaw” many times over.
The CARRY BAG is also not the finest representative of the quality Fox products offer, but we got used to lousy accessories anyway.
Having said that, I think we’re pretty much done with the CONs section. The PLASTIC SMELL is a thing so common for inflatable furniture we can’t even call it a CON per se. Yes, it’s an inconvenience, but a very short one at that.
As far as the positive sides are concerned… Well, let’s dissect our different rating aspects one at a time…
The overall comfort got an 88/100 rating after we cross-referenced our test results with user reviews of this air mattress. This is an amazing result, and it’s no wonder users say it’s among the most comfortable sleeping surfaces ever.
Durability is its ace in the hole, however. 95/100 tells us this air bed focuses its inner beast-ness (I guess) mostly on durability. The construction is solid and of the highest quality, the finish is precise and clean, and the connections are welded properly and super tight. Our tensile test was just one of the indicators this portable bed has a lot of fight in it.
Air retention and the pump got 89 and 87 respectively. We’ve inflated/deflated this air mattress more times than we could count. We also did a pressure test to see if it’ll lose air. The results speak for themselves.
So, in our value for money category, we got to the final score of 87/100. This means we’re looking at the best King Size air mattress currently on the market. Lucky for other brands, SoundAsleep’s Dream Series is very limited when it comes to sizes.
Aerobed Double High – second top rated inflatable bed in King size
The inflatable bed that should definitely be congratulated for “stealing” 2nd place among two Fox models. As we said, our only female team member find it to be “the most stylish inflatable she’s ever seen”.
Runner-up in the category of top king airbeds – the ratings:
Aerobed King Size Double High
- Solid air retention
- Spacious sleeping surface
- Good support, sturdy edges
- Modern design, fits standard sheets
- Feels like a regular mattress
- Not battery operated
- Doesn’t pack small, not easily stored
Specs of this Aerobed King:
- It fits King Size sheets
- 14” of height makes for an easier getting in/out
- Horizontally positioned air chambers prevent the bed from sagging and offer proper body support to the sleeper
- Built-in 120V electric pump allows for a quick inflation with customized firmness
- Includes a handy carry bag
The ratings of this Aerobed:
We’ll need to know A LOT more than that if we’re even to consider throwing some money the Aerobed’s way. So, let’s see if we can get some extra info.
Excerpts from the positive reviews our testers (and other consumers) shared:
- After the initial stretching process, it holds air like a champ! We have to refill it a bit every two weeks or so, simply to maintain it super firm
- My King Size sheets fit perfectly, and the overall shape of the mattress keep them well in place. It took a bit of coaxing until everything fell right into place, but it was a pretty quick and painless process
- This is the most comfortable bed I ever slept on! Notice I didn’t say “airbed”, I just said BED. It beats my 2 old air mattresses and all of my regular beds by a mile. I especially like the narrow lip around the edges of the mattress. They somehow make me feel more secure when I sleep
- The height is just perfect! I’ve been permanently sleeping on air mattresses for about 5 years now, ever since I figured out they’re much better for my bad back than regular spring beds. This is my first raised inflatable bed, and it feels amazing! First of all, it sleeps much warmer, and getting in and out of the bed doesn’t hurt my back anymore
- The pump feels powerful, and it inflates the mattress very fast. It’s there with all the other pumps I’ve owned so far as far as the noise goes. In other words, not overly loud but not completely silent either
- My husband is a pretty big guy (6’3”; 300lbs), and we sleep on this mattress no problem. We use it as our main bed, and it’s the first time I got some great night’s sleep in a looong time
- The construction seems pretty sturdy and well-executed. My two previous air mattresses just felt cheap, even their price tags would definitely suggest otherwise. This feels like a solid piece of inflatable furniture, and we’ll see if my initial feel was justified or not
- The price was nothing compared to the personal cloud I got! As if the initial price wasn’t low enough, I even got a 70+ bucks discount on Amazon. I didn’t even know about the discount, and I wasn’t going for it, but It sure felt like I knew my way around discount shopping
- The surface can be made very firm, which is such a blessing when your back hurt as much as mine. The mattress almost dealt with my back pain altogether. It’s not completely gone, of course, but it made it far more manageable. I generally like customizability in products I buy. It gives me a feeling like I’m getting the best possible deal for my money
- If it were just a tad taller, it would be the best King Size air bed ever!
- I don’t like the shape of the mattress so far. It’s nothing like the ones I previously slept on, so it might just be my power of habit, though
- I can sense a slight dip in the surface of the mattress when my wife and I are sitting next to each other
- I wish the pump could also be battery-operated
Our conclusion about the runner-up in the king size category
This Aerobed got an 86/100 score after the whole mattress ordeal that is our rating process. The issue that we did see that it’s often unavailable, this is the second update and it hasn’t been available between the two updates. As per our schedule, it will not see a third as being one of our picks because what good is it if our readers can’t find it.
It’s an EXCELLENT result, to say the least, so let’s jump over different rating categories and see how it did in those.
The comfort is the number one thing we need to pay attention here. Since there’s no scientific way to test it, we rely most heavily on user feedback and our own designated sleepers 90/100 is beyond impressive, and all the comfort goodies you’d expect from your regular bed can also be found here, and more.
Rating of 86/100 in durability, which means this model also has a ton of fight in it. Users, especially taller and heavier ones have reported utter satisfaction with the model after prolonged use.
Air retention, the pump quality and value for money all got an 85, which basically tells us all we need to know already.
It’s a SOLID Aerobed model among all the Foxes. Good quality, amazing comfort and support mixed with a budget-friendly price + a discount. Overall, a very good deal and great value for money. You can read more about this Aerobed here.
Fox High-Rise with gel memory foam – third best king airbed
We would usually start the story with a proper introduction of the product, but we can scroll up, and we already have it. The product specs for the two Foxes on our list are literally the same. Well, except for one tiny detail, a detail that changed a lot in the ratings (and not for the better).
This model features a TOPPER made of gel memory foam and two PILLOWS made of the same material. Well, not exactly a tiny detail, we agree. The added set provides a completely new dimension of comfort to this air mattress.
Fox Air Mattress With Topper and Pillows
- Extremely comfortable
- Reliable construction and durability
- Extra foam topper
- Strong support
- No air loss
- Extra pillows are too small
- Too high according for some buyers
Here’s what the new customers liked about this inflatable bed:
- We’ve already had a Fox air mattress in King Size, and we decided to stick to the same brand that performed so well in the past. We really like the added memory foam topper, and Fox keeps on not disappointing
- A very comfortable portable bed for sure, probably one of the best choices in king size out there. I like how I can dictate the level of firmness up to that “sweet spot” for my aching back
- It’s a top-quality air mattress way above the price tag. I won’t name the brand of our previous inflatable bed, but it was waaaay overpriced! This “little” guy gives us the same comfort and looks pretty much as high-quality for far less money
- The material looks pretty durable and resistant to dangers your average mattress can encounter in a modern home. I’ve played with my cat a dozen of times on it, and she didn’t manage to pierce (she probably could if she focused, though)
- I’ve read a lot of reviews talking about this air mattress, and I’m not a person who does their purchases that way, but I really decided to go for it this time. I bit the bullet, and all of those positive reviews were absolutely true! Excellent air bed and one happy customer here
- We used it for camping, and it was the best sleep we got under the stars ever!
- Best King Size air mattress ever! And it’s not even a regular mattress. My spine problems really started acting up in the last couple of years, and I wasn’t exactly being picky about the ways to, at least, relieve the pain a bit. This bed supports my spine perfectly, as well as the rest of the body, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Exactly what I needed!
- This doesn’t feel like an air mattress at all! Once we inflated it, we realized how firm the base really was. Once we threw the topper on it, it really gave it a more luxurious feel
- The delivery was super fast!
Let’s go over some of the downsides:
- It’s pretty heavy for an air mattress, but definitely worth it! If you’re taking it to your camping trip, make sure you’re doing a car-camping. You won’t make it far otherwise
- The pillows are too small and practically useless. They’re comfortable and all, but I see them more as a decoration than something actually usable
- The mattress is definitely too high for me. That would be my only complaint so far
What did we conclude?
With an EXTRA memory foam topper, this is one of the most comfortable air mattresses out there. The overall comfort score of 92/100 speaks volumes on the matter. It also comes with two memory foam gel pillows, which customers didn’t like all that much. They basically said the pillows are OK, but they’re too small to be properly used for sleeping. More like some of those pillows, you keep around on your bed without actually having any reasons to do so.
Durability rating of 86/100, which means it did something right on our tests and for users to like it. Tensile tests were a complete success, and the customers report they found the material to be quite thick and sturdy, cat-resistant even. There were multiple reports talking about this model lasting for years of constant use.
Air retention ability and the pump quality both got 84/100, so a bit lower than our previous categories but still pretty impressive. Our inflation/deflation tests revealed a really good and powerful pump paired with a good air-retaining capacity
Value for money was where we hit a bit of a snag. Is this air mattress actually worth the price?
Our answer is yes, but barely. It’s a standard Fox mattress, which is a good thing. The topper is a great addition, but not worth more than 80 bucks. The model without the topper goes for that. The pillows are indeed to small and purely decorative. So, the pricing was really on the bubble for us.
Summing up this update on best King Size air mattresses
We really hope you enjoyed the read, perusing through all the new DATA and customer reviews.
We at 3Beds are all anxiously awaiting the next UPDATE to see what happens between the winner and Aerobed. We’ll be back with another load of fresh info in exactly two months. Until then, we leave you with the UP-TO-DATE state of the market as far as best King Size inflatable beds go.
Sleep tight and choose wisely